Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy 4th of July!


My husband plays trumpet in the local community band every summer and their first concert is always on the 4th of July. They play for about an hour and a half before the fireworks start and it's great fun! I always get goosebumps when listening to the beautiful, patriotic music since it reminds me of the many sacrifices that others have made so I can enjoy my freedom.


They always invite the kids up to "direct" the band for one song and it is hilarious. The smaller kids are just adorable...dancing around, throwing their arms this way and that. They have no idea what they are supposed to be doing, but they are having fun anyway (and so is the audience).


After the concert, we head home for dessert. This year I want to make a flag cake. Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, has a beautiful one and the recipe is here!


And, here's another, simpler version of the flag cake. I think this is the one I'm going to try since I love chocolate cake!


Hope you all have a wonderful Independence Day!

1 comment:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That's a lot of work for something that will be eaten up in a couple minutes. that second one looks doable though.