Monday, August 06, 2012

Batiks from Indonesia & Africa

While cleaning my sewing room on Saturday, I happened upon these Batik fabrics that were stuffed away in a corner. I purchased this first piece when I was in Africa in 1980. I know it was in Kenya, but I can't be more precise than that. I wish I had gotten a few more pieces, but I didn't have much money in those days and I wasn't as interested in quilting as I am now - I was still sewing clothing at the time. This piece is truly gorgeous and I don't really know how I could use it other than to frame it and perserve it's beauty. I don't think I could bear to cut into it. It's one of the few mementos, other than the 612 photos (17 rolls of 36 exp film) that I took, that I have from that trip.




I also came across these three Indonesian batik fabrics which I bought on a trip to San Francisco way back in the 90's. We had visited Stonemountain Daughters & Fabric in Berkeley and were on our way back to San Francisco when we passed a huge discount fabric store. Hubby was agreeable (he always is) and we went in to look around to find that they had tons of these batik fabrics.  It wasn't until I re-folded them on Saturday that I realized they had these neat paper labels on them. These are of exceptional quality....very soft and tightly woven.

I just thought you might find them as interesting as I do. I don't know if I'll ever use them, but they are beautiful to look at.

Take care,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Gorgeous. If it's not over-sized, I'd be tempted to frame the first one and hang it for eye candy. I'm jealous!

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'd be tempted to frame that top one too!