Thursday, April 19, 2012

You're invited to my party...

my "Oldest UFO" linky party. I know I'm not the only one with a huge pile/stack/ box/ container/shelf of UFOs. The other evening I was thinking about all my UFOs and I couldn't remember them all so I decided to get my pile out and start looking through it.

If you want to enlarge any of the photos, just double-click on them.

This is my oldest UFO and it was started in 1994. I'm kind of surprised that I don't have one that is older. In those days, I was actually finishing a lot more quilts than I have in the last 5 or so years. Our quilting group, Ladies of the Evening, always had some kind of activity going on and that year we were doing friendship blocks. When it came time for my turn, my request was for a block of any size, any pattern, using a piece of fabric that I provided.  When I received all the blocks, I hadn't thought about how I would use them, so they sat for a little while. On a trip to Paso Robles with my husband, we visited the quilt shop and they had a quilt hanging on the wall that consisted of many different sized blocks. They had assembled the quilt in just this manner...using smaller blocks and sashing strips to make everything uniform. I loved the idea and took several pictures so I could remember what they had done.

At that time, our group consisted of mostly beginner quilters. We did have a couple of advanced quilters and one of them was into applique. I remember thinking then that I would never want to do applique. Of course, I changed my mind along my quilting journey.


If I remember correctly, this is the Pineapple block that I made. As you can see, I knew very little about contrast or value. :)



For the border, I was planning on using lots of the smaller, simpler blocks. In fact, I have many of them cut and/or sewn. Maybe one of these days I will finish this quilt although right now I have no desire to do so. A sad note....one of these blocks was made by a lovely woman who just passed away last week. That makes this quilt top extra special.

Anyway, I would like to invite you to join in the party by linking up and showing us your oldest UFO. There's really only one stipulation....you must be willing to admit how old it is! :))   Anyway, I hope a lot of you will participate and make this FUN!

Here's how to join in the party:
  • Publish your own "Oldest UFO" post on your blog.
  • Once your post is published, click on the title of the post. This will take you to the link URL for your post. This URL points directly to the page with your post on it. Copy the URL from your browser at the top of the page.
  • Paste the URL into the appropriate linkytools box in this post.
  • Type your name in the appropriate linktytools box in this post.
  • Click on "Enter."
  • Please link back to this (my Oldest UFO) post so that your readers can find other Old UFOs.
That's it! You might want to check and see if your link is working properly. We'll hope that everything works correctly, since this is my first time hosting a "linky party."

Take care,







2 comments:

Jenny said...

oh terri! this is a great idea...im sorry i just dont have them ooopmh to dig out my oldest WIP, but i do know its from december 2007...i talked my husband into a quilt kit from a magazine using Chez Moi fabrics...I had just had my son...and I thought with the 2 kids napping, id have SO MUCH time to cut out the fabrics....ha ha ha...never even cut out 1/2 the fabric, although i do have blocks made....ha ha ha....so much time with 2 kids under 3? ovbiously i was out of my mind!

Ann Pierson said...

Wow, your string quilt hanging in your foyer is so beautiful! And thank you for the tutoriaL!