Monday, October 07, 2013

Apples, sky and clouds, Fractured...

We took a lovely drive up the coast to the apple farm near San Luis Obispo on Saturday. We visit Gopher Glen every year and get our Splendor apples since that's the only place we know of that has them. They are the very best of all the apples I've ever tasted and it's well worth the 3-hr (one-way) drive to get them.



When we had our apples safely in hand, we drove over to Avila Bay and walked out onto the Pier. There is refurbishing going on at the very end so we couldn't go all the way out, but it was still a nice walk.



It was a gorgeous day - very warm and just the slightest breeze. This water looked so inviting...


This photo is looking back towards Pismo Beach. If you enlarge it (double-click it) you can just barely see a white/light strip of sand behind the pier. Those are the famous sand dunes.

* * *

The sunrise this morning was glorious. DH woke me in time to see it and get pics of it. This was taken through my bathroom window with the Samsung Galaxy S4.




and then on my walk I had to take this photo of these beautiful clouds. We just don't get many gorgeous cloud formations so it's a real treat to see them!


I've made a bit more progress on my Fractured quilt and thought I would show you now rather than wait till Friday. Hopefully, I'll have even more done by then. I'm really liking how it's coming together. And, even though I said I would finish positioning block parts before I sewed more rows together, I could not resist!


Happy Monday!

Take care,

6 comments:

Judy Rys said...

I love going to SLO and Pismo. I've always stop at Avila Valley Barn. They have yummy roasted corn, and ice cream made at Cal Poly and a small petting zoo. Will have to try your apple farm next time. Love fresh cider. Reminds me of MA. I'm afraid to ask how many pounds of apples you bought! LOL

Jocelyn said...

Great pictures. Your quilt is coming together beautifully!

imquilternity said...

Judy - in answer to your question... we bought 15 lbs to eat and another 5 lbs to use in pies. That's pretty reasonable, don't you think? They'll last a month in the crisper.

Mystic Quilter said...

What a lovely day you have had!
Your Fractured quilt is a delight Terri - clever you!

Barb in Mi said...

Beautiful pictures - and your Fractured quilt is looking fabulous!

HollyM said...

It's been years since we went for apples and I'd love to! I don't make pies anymore though and now my husband spends most of his time golfing.
The pictures are lovely. What a sunrise!
It's a striking quilt. What size bed will it fit?