Monday, October 19, 2009

My Monkeys are done! I like them but don't love them. I'm going to try some "No Purl Monkeys" soon, but have been commissioned for two pairs of socks by the end of October. I've got one sock of one pair done and I'll show those to you when I've finished them.

Back to the Monkey's....


The pattern is not difficult but was one I had trouble memorizing. I just sat with the directions/chart in my lap as I knit so it wasn't a problem.

They look great as it's a pretty lace pattern, but they just feel "bulky" on my foot and I don't care for that feeling. I think the "No Purl" version will probably lie flatter.



I certainly don't mean to discourage anyone from knitting these socks. I'm probably the only person in the whole world that isn't enamored of this pattern by Cookie. Everyone loves her socks!

9 comments:

Rafael's Mum said...

You are very clever to knit socks at all! and then such complicated ones... I always wanted a pair of handknitted socks but somehow I never get to learning how to do it.. (probably learning to quilt instead :-)

Crispy said...

They are lovely socks, but would bother my feet too.

Crispy

floribunda said...

I did the "no purl" monkeys -- there's something about the way they feel that isn't quite right. They look great but maybe they don't fit tightly enough around the ankle/leg?

momsue84 said...

I, too, did the No Purl Monkeys and like them so much better. It's a faster knit, and I really like the results. Yours are beautiful!

Jackie's Stitches said...

They're really cute!

As you know, I did the no purl version too. They're a really quick knit. I had to have the pattern nearby as well. Purl stitches have more give so the no purl version just might solve your problem!

Diane J. Evans said...

Sorry to hear that the socks aren't what you'd hoped for -- I think they're absolutely gorgeous, but you're right: if they're not comfortable, they're just eye candy. However, please do share the name of the yarn you used -- I'd love to use it in my next chevron scarf (inspired by you . . .).

Diane

Unknown said...

I don't know, I really like them! I think they are pretty. I am also used to wearing bulky socks because my feet are always cold.

MichelleB said...

I knit a pair of monkeys and I was not enamored with them either. I thought that it was because of the yarn - I used ShiBui. Maybe it's the pattern that I didn't like after all.

Kim D. said...

Beautiful colors, love them.